Since starring in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, 26-year-old British-Nigerian has had a meteoric rise to fame.
The actor has featured in movies such as The Circle, Detroit, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Half of a Yellow Sun.
Here are 10 things you should know about the British-Nigerian actor:
1. Boyega was born in London, England on March 17, 1992, to Nigerian parents, Abigail, and Samson Adegboyega, a Pentecostal minister.
2. The actor attended Oliver Goldsmith Primary School and Westminster City School for his primary and secondary education, respectively.
He also attended South Thames College where he acquired a National Diploma in Performing Arts. After he enrolled at the University of Greenwich to study BA Film Studies & Media Writing, he dropped out to focus on his acting career.
3. His father wanted him to be a Pentecostal minister too. It took his drama teacher to convince his parents to let him keep acting.
4. John Boyega’s debut movie role was in the British sci-fi comedy “Attack the Block.” J.J Abrams decided to cast the then 19-year-old as Finn in “Star Wars: The Force Awaken”after he saw the actor in “Attack the Block.”
5. Boyega starred in a pilot for a Spike Lee series titled “Da Brick,” which was loosely based on a young Mike Tyson. Unfortunately, HBO didn’t pick it up.
6. He is a fan of Marvel Comics and had hoped to play the Marvel character, Black Panther.
7. In January 2016, Boyega formed his own production company, Upperroom Entertainment Limited. In June 2016, Boyega announced that his company would be co-producing the sequel to the 2013 movie “Pacific Rim,” which also stars him as the lead actor.
8. The first Nollywood movie he saw was the classic “Blood Sisters,” which featured Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde and Genevieve Nnaji.
9. Boyega took acting lessons from Gospel movie actor and producer Mike Bamiloye.
“I actually did training with Mike Bamiloye and Gloria Bamiloye when they were in the United Kingdom” he revealed after the special screening of “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” at IMAX Cinemas on Monday, December 25, 2017.
10. John Boyega was revealed as Forbes’ 10th highest grossing actor of 2017.
Source Pulse NG